We Are The Jewish Folk Chorus of San Francisco
We are in our 96th season of singing Yiddish, Hebrew, Russian and Ladino songs for audiences in the Bay Area.
“An Evening of Songs in Solidarity With Ukraine”A Fundraiser for HIAS and the Central World Kitchen
Tuesday, April 19, 7-8:30p.m. Pacific Time, via Zoom
Our hearts are with the brave people of Ukraine, those fighting for their freedom, and their leadership. We are saddened and outraged at the needless tragedy, horror and death. Join us as we hear songs of unity, resolve, and hope in Yiddish, Ukrainian and other languages. Please donate to HIAS and The World Central Kitchen, both providing critical relief and aid in the region: https://www.hias.org https://www.wck.org
Our guest artists will include:
- Cantor Sharon Bernstein - Singer, pianist, composer, researcher and international performer of Yiddish and Jewish music. Sharon is Cantor of Congregation Sha'ar Zahav in San Francisco.
- Cindy Paley – Acclaimed national and international performer and recording artist of Yiddish music. For decades, Cindy has been a music educator and is cantorial soloist at Lev Eisha in LA and the Neshama Minyan at Valley Beth Shalom in Encino, CA.
- Achi Ben-Shalom - Beloved Bay area performer, song leader, recording artist, musical arranger. Achi currently conducts the Nigunim Chorus in Berkeley and a variety of senior choruses.
- Linda Hirschhorn - Cantor, performer, singer, songwriter, composer, recording artist and story-teller. Linda is the spiritual leader at Temple Beth Sholom in San Leandro. Her Jewish women's a cappella ensemble Vocolot celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2017.
- Ami Goodman – Song leader and lifelong lover of Jewish music. Ami led the monthly Kumzits Jewish Song Workshop in San Francisco for 10 years, and currently sings with and helps arrange music for the Jewish Folk Chorus of San Francisco.
To attend via Zoom, REGISTRATION is required. Please register here: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0vdeioqjIqGtD72L9hUgGurBgJW2RR7Emo.
The Chorus is open to new singers. We continue holding online rehearsals at this time, BUT we are hoping to resume IN PERSON in FALL 2022. We have just started in person rehearsals OUTSIDE for those fully vaxed. Contact us if interested or you want more information. Donations, however large or small, are always welcome and can be made using the Donate link below.
Our email is [email protected].
We hope to see you soon! We really miss singing for others!. Abi gezunt, stay safe and strong, and keep singing!
We are a 501c(3) non-profit organization that depends on donations from our supporters. It has been quite a challenge these months of the COVID-19 virus. If you are able to contribute to our chorus, we'd love it. We've lost most of our income for the season. To make an online contribution, click on the button below: